We’re looking for high school student judges for MS T12 on Saturday, December 10th. Please check the CMSDL Tournament Two Schedule.
Our two tournament locations are:
Morgan Park H.S.
1744 W. Pryor Ave.
5101 W. Harrison
Coaches from any CDL school may register Varsity debaters who are interested in judging at these tournaments with David by Tuesday evening, December 6th and he’ll let coaches know which students are hired and for which site.
Pay is $40/day for judging at CMSDL tournaments and only judges who are reliable, on-time, and supportive of younger debaters will be allowed to continue as judges.
Please note below that they must attend a judge training (the last one before MST2 is at Loyola Water Tower Campus on Wednesday, 12/7) in order to be hired – those who have attended one of the two previous judge trainings at Loyola are already certified to judge:
- When: 5 pm – 6:30 pm, Wednesday, December 7th
- Where: Corboy Law Center, Loyola University Water Tower Campus, 25 E. Pearson (near Red Line Chicago stop on CTA), Room 422
- Who: Coaches should register the names of Varsity high school students who plan to attend with David by e-mail by Tuesday, December 6th, 6 pm.
The CDL is making a few changes in response to feedback from Middle School coaches the last two years, which has been largely negative toward the experience their students have had with high school judges. These are:
1. All high school students judging must be Varsity debaters and have debated 10 or more high school rounds in a previous school year.
2. All high school student judges must attend a judge training PRIOR to the first CMSDL tournament they judge this year. ONLY high school students who have attended a judge training this year will be allowed to judge at CMSDL Tournament Two – having judged in previous years doesn’t qualify a judge this year since Middle School coaches have made it clear previous year’s judges were under-prepared.
2. We are no longer limiting high school student judges to schools where there is a mentor coach, although we strongly encourage mentor coaches who plan to attend MST2 to bring their debaters and let David know. Students from any CDL high school are eligible to judge if their coaches register their students with David prior to the tournament (he will respond with whether they are needed and hired for that tournament) and they meet the above 2 criteria.