We’re looking forward to a great CMSDL Tournament Two on Saturday morning and our start to the season.
A few important reminders that each coach should look at before tomorrow morning:
- Julian H.S.
10330 S. Elizabeth St.
The following schools will compete at Julian:
- Ogden International School of Chicago
1250 W. Erie
The following schools will compete at Ogden:
- Please check the CMSDL T2 Argument Limits
- Morning changes and registration: Saturday morning, breakfast and registration begins at 7:45 am. Please note the time.
Call/text with any changes and check in by 8:00 am at the latest or your team will be left off the pairing and forfeited. Do not plan to arrive at 8:30 am after registration and breakfast are over. Please make sure you call any changes as soon as you know of them on Saturday morning directly to the Tournament Directors at each site:
- Julian: David Song, 8 4 7 – 9 5 1 – 9 6 6 2
- Ogden: Desiree Weber, 3 1 2 – 6 1 8 – 8 1 0 9
- Judging:Because we are enforcing a requirement for high school Varsity debaters to undergo a full training this year, we will have less high school debaters than at past tournaments, meaning most coaches (including newer ones) will be judging all or almost all debates. We appreciate coaches working with us on this. Judging debates early in the year can give coaches more knowledge about the topic and Core Files, as well as a good idea of what they can do better with their own students and what students are struggling with.
- Tardiness policy: Our tournaments run on-time. We respect your time and value the contribution you make to the experience of students from your school and all the others that are a part of the league, it is a professional expectation that coaches ensure their students and judges arrive on time and are ready to debate at scheduled times. Those who are late for debates or have unannounced changes are asking for exceptions that would delay the tournament for everyone else’s students, which we can’t allow. Forfeits will occur 15 minutes after the start of each announced round. Round 1 starts at 9:00 am sharp and forfeits are at 9:15 am. Losing your first debate of the day at the start of the year due to tardiness is not the way to go.
- Student conduct: Quitting during debates isn’t allowed. Novice students must compete and should be encouraged to use their thoughts and the Core Files in order to use as much of their speech time as they can. The most basic rule of the CMSDL is that giving up isn’t allowed – being nervous is natural, but students don’t learn anything if they don’t try.
- Observer conduct: Debate is about the debaters. Observers are welcome but should not distract students or judges during debates and should not attempt to discuss the debate with judges or discuss an ongoing debate with students. Judges may ask observers to leave the room if they are becoming a distraction – please comply with this request and do not argue with it.
- Travel plans: Please check/confirm with all students and judges that they are arriving on time and leave extra time for your vehicle or for the bus.
We look forward to an enjoyable and competitive CMSDL Tournament Two.
See you Saturday morning.