This is a reminder that the Chicago Debate League has Coach Training Seminar VI on Saturday, 1/5, 9:00am – 12:00pm, at the Loyola Law School, 25 E. Pearson St.
Parking at lots near the Loyola Law School is $10, with validation from the lobby of the law school building (the Philip H. Corboy Center, 25 E. Pearson St.). The Loyola Law School is also right off of the Chicago stop on the CTA red line.
Registration is required. Register by Thursday, 1/3, at 3:00pm, by sending an email to email@example.com.
Attendees will earn three hours of professional development credit within the CDL system, and three hours of CPDUs.
We will adapt the experience level and depth of our coverage depending on the registration, including adding a second section if registration warrants, so CDL coaches at all levels should feel invited to register.
We’ll be covering in depth the following CDL Debater Development Benchmarks:
Advanced Use of Evidence
(37) Choosing the best and most useful Core Files evidence (or arguments from other prepared files), supplementing with additional research and updates, and deleting or not using weaker evidence
(38) Highlighting or underlining all key arguments from the Core Files (or other prepared files) for efficiency and strategic value
Analyzing and Arguing Over Text
(51) Reading and interpreting closely to successfully execute “micro-debates” (e.g., debates about individual pieces of evidence)
(52) Connecting “micro-debates” to the full round in order to give it weight
Refining Rebuttal Technique
(61) Demonstrating word economy, embedded clash and other advanced methods to increase refutation within speech time limits
(62) Improving notably through the use rebuttal re-works, mini-debates, and other practice methods to refine rebuttal technique