The Chicago Debate League has its third coach training seminar of seven now scheduled for the 2013/14 season — Coach Training Seminar III — this Saturday, 9/21, 9:00am – 12:00pm, at the Loyola Law School, 25 E. Pearson St.
This seminar will review the prepared flow drill, using the Mexico Security affirmative case Solvency and the Diplomatic Capital Disad against the Venezuela aff. And it will perform a close and careful review and analysis of the 2013 CDSI demo debate, with special attention given to the off-case issues debated in that round. If we have enough registrants we will run two seminars at the same time, one for more experienced and one for less experienced coaches.
Parking at lots near the Loyola Law School is $10, with validation from the lobby of the law school building (the Philip H. Corboy Center, 25 E. Pearson St.). The Loyola Law School is also right off of the Chicago stop on the CTA red line.
Registration is required. Register by Thursday, 9/19, at 3:00pm, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attendees will earn three hours of professional development credit within the CDL system, and three hours of CPDUs.
We’ll be covering in depth the following CDL Debater Development Benchmarks:
(13) Refutation construct (“they say x, we say y”)
(14) The principle of refutation in debate – silence = assent
(15) Affirmative speaker duties and roles: 1AC, 2AC, 1AR, and 2AR
(16) Negative speaker duties and roles: 1NC, 2NC/1NR (the negative block), and 2NR
Creating Negative Strategies
(25) Forming a coherent strategy from argument options
(26) Focusing on the end game: which arguments will be extended in the 2NR and how the round will be won, including the use of basic risk calculus