We are excited to have 10 of our top Novice teams (as determined by their finish at Tournament Five, the Conference Championships) at the McDermott Will and Emery Novice Invitational this Saturday, March 16th!
This is one of our favorite events all year because we get to focus on our favorite debaters, the Novices, and prepare for the City Championship by debating across conferences in a small, welcoming tournament that everyone seems to enjoy.
We will have an excellent field of teams competing:
- Back of the Yards College Prep Israel Flores and Marcos Rivera
- Back of the Yards College Prep Mitzi Santamaria and Brendan Chan
- Thomas Kelly High School Kelly Lin and Lisa Gao
- Lindblom Math and Science Academy Grace Nwankwo and Agnes Tamatekou
- Morgan Park High School Jayla Williams and Santos Marchan
- Pritzker College Prep Emiliano Torres and Jaylene Llamas
- Pritzker College Prep Gissele Pacheco and Stephanie Resendiz
- Solorio Academy High School Eduardo Ramirez and Gabriel Lares
- Taft High School Conor Mika and Layan Nazzal
- Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center Fyona Young and Ian Vanswearingen
McDermott Will and Emery’s downtown law firm office is located at 444 W Lake.
Note that there is no free or discounted parking for the building, but it is near public transportation (Clinton on Green and Pink Lines) and there is paid parking nearby.
Upon arrival, everyone should have a picture ID and let the front desk staff know you are there for an event at MWE. They will then instruct you towards the elevator bank to the 41st floor. Any visitors and observers must be added to the event security list.
Dress is business casual and all meals are provided. Each school is expected to bring at least one judge or coach who can judge. Debaters should expect a mix of judges, from coaches and CDL alums to attorneys at McDermott Will and Emery who are experts in argumentation but may be newer to judging policy debates.
There is a $300 coach incentive per school attending ($450 for two teams from a school) – please let David know who you would like this made out to for mailing immediately after the event.
There is no previewing, but you can look at what other teams have run through the year so far as Previews.
The schedule includes a well-received lunchtime roundtable panel discussion with attorneys each year and is below: