College Scholarship Opportunities
- University of Kentucky has multiple up-to-full-tuition scholarships targeted to graduates of Urban Debate Leagues and a strong interest in CDL debaters. Recent CDL alums like Jacinda Rivas (Whitney Young), Maria Sanchez (Northside), Stephani Lopez (Phoenix Military), Marcel Roman (Whitney Young), Veronica Martinez (Ogden), and Josh Kendrick (Kennedy) have received scholarships to debate at UK. Current Seniors should apply for both UDL and Parker Diversity Scholarship by December 1st. For more information, please contact David Arnett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is the Parker Diversity Scholarship application:
- Loyola University Chicago has a debate scholarship application, which can be accessed here. Scholarships range from $1,000 – $7,000, depending on debate aptitude and need. The Director of Debate, David Romanelli, invites CDL seniors who have not yet committed to a college in the fall — and all juniors — to apply to Loyola, which has probably the largest number of CDL alums on their debate team every season.
- Illinois College has given multiple CDL alums scholarships and has an active debate team a few hours from Chicago – contact Head Coach Shawna Merrill for more information about debate at Illinois College at email@example.com.
- University of West Georgia has scholarship money and is noted for their attention to student academics, including a notable recent success story in Hakeem Muhammad, an alum of King College Prep. For more information, please contact Michael Hester at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regis University in Denver is interested in CDL debaters and Director of Forensics Jon Denzler can be contacted at email@example.com.
- NAUDL has a somewhat outdated list of college debate teams offering scholarships, notably including Samford, Indiana, SIU, Wake Forest, USC, Emory, Emporia, UNLV and Baylor.
- A full list of all colleges that have debate programs (both policy debate and parliamentary debate) can be found here.
General Scholarship Info
- The CPS Office of College and Career Success has a website with valuable information about scholarships.
- Here’s a list of colleges that meet full financial need.
- The CDC also nominates students for the prestigious Posse scholarship.
Career and Professional Experience Opportunities
- The Chicago Bar Association has a Law and Debate Club for high school students and is interested in debaters: